Friday, February 5, 2010

Snowshoeing...not just for the graceful

We drove to Park Rapids last weekend to make sure everything was okay at the farm and to try a little snowshoeing. What fun it would be to go back into the thicket where I dare not tread when the ground is swampy, the brush so thick and enough mosquitos to carry you away. I won't go into the wood ticks.. ewww.....

And it was fun. The day was beautiful, a balmy 13 degrees with bright sunshine and no wind. Perfect for outdoor recreation. (Click on the pictures to bigify)

All went well... for a while... then this happened:

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up. What's the first thing my loving husband does when he see's my predicament? Pull out the camera. Thanks honey...

Back on my feet, (below is proof that I did spend part/most of my time upright) we snowshoed through the thicket for about an hour, walking the property line and ending back at the pasture.

Then we drove a couple miles up the road to where the Zilka boys have some land with a hunting shack. Francis wanted to drop off a salt block to see if it would deter the porcupine that's been eating the wood and tar paper off of the shack and outhouse.

I felt like I was shoeing (would that be what you would call it? sort of like calling snowmobiling sledding?) through a magical forest.. maybe I was. The ice storm from the previous weeked left the trees with a brilliant sheen of ice that sparkled in the sun. It was so crisp and clean and fresh. With Francis doing the work of breaking the path, I could have gone on for miles!

This was a spectacular day and we hope to find another free weekend to get back up there and do some more shoeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment