Monday, February 8, 2010

I Tvaandsstickned when I should have....

With my co-worker's baby due in less than 3 weeks and me only half way through the baby afghan I'm knitting in dk weight (what was I thinking???) I decided this would be a good time to try a new knitting technique called Tvaandsstickning which is Swedish for two-ended knitting. Here in the good ol USA, where we have no idea how to pronounce this word and are not even going to try, call it twined knitting. I found the book Twined Knitting by Birgitta Dandanell at my local library (this book is out of print now and quite pricy on Amazon.com). The gorgeous mittens inside the book could not wait for a baby afghan to be completed. So I dove in and with a little help from YouTube learned to cast on and started my first mitten!


By knitting from both ends of the skein or with two skeins, it's similar to two color knitting only using one color. You twist the strands between each stitch creating a dense fabric that will keep your hands warm and toasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment